Sunday, February 10, 2013

Best Grilled Portabella Mushroom Burger


It is very rare in our household that we have a meal without meat.  My husband is a typical southern guy who has to have meat in every meal.  I on the other hand, insist on having vegetables with our meals (except breakfast - I don't really require it, hahaha).
When I told my husband that we were having grilled mushroom burgers for dinner, he wasn't thrilled and pretended to be sleepy.  When I was done fixing the meal, I had to wake him up (from his pretend sleep), and he told me that he wasn't really hungry.  I tried to force him to take at least a bite of the sandwich.
Then he got hooked.  He loved it and didn't even miss his meat.
So here's to a vegetarian dinner!
Ingredients
4 large portabella mushrooms, wiped with a damp towel and stems removed
1/2 c dry white wine (substitute - grape juice, apple juice or apple cider)
2 tbsp soy sauce (I used Tamari)
2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar (substitute - red wine vinegar)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
extra olive oil (to brush over the grill and mushrooms while grilling)
Directions
In a small bowl, mix white wine, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and garlic.
Place the mushrooms (gills up) in a baking pan. Spoon the marinade over the mushrooms and marinate for at least half an hour.
Brush your grill with olive oil and preheat to medium high.
Place mushroom on the grill, gill face up. Close the lid or cover shrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Baste mushrooms with olive oil and leftover marinade every few minutes.
With a metal spatula or tongs, rotate the mushrooms 30 degrees to create diamond grill marks. Cook for another 3 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.  By this time the mushrooms will slightly soft and juicy.
Like your regular burger, you have to let your shrooms rest.
Prepare your bread and your other fixins.  I used toasted chive foccacia bread, garlic mayo, baby romaine lettuce leaves and a slice beefsteak tomato.
I toasted the foccacia so the bread won't get soaked since the mushroom was so juicy.
Assemble and serve. Happy healthy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment