Thursday, November 7, 2013

Takana Chahan (Japanese Pickled Mustard Fried Rice)



This dish was very popular in the restaurant where I used to work.  Most of our customers visit the place just for this dish.  I myself love this dish.  The slightly salty taste of the pickled mustard give this dish a different kick. I actually like it the crusty rice that sticks to the pan. My mom calls it "tutong".

Do not get intimidated by the pickled mustard.  It is not too sour.  Some brands have it a bit sweet.  When you see it in the Asian aisle of your supermarket it comes as chopped leaves or whole.  I usually buy the chopped leaves variety.  I squeeze out all the liquid before adding it to the dish.  Otherwise you fried rice will be too wet.
You have to try this recipe because it is so different from your usual fried rice. My husband avoids rice at all costs but would eat this dish.
Ingredients
2 c steamed rice (I used day old brown rice)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsps vegetable oil
1 egg beaten
4 oz peeled and de-veined shrimp
1 tbsp pickled mustard (Takana)
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sake or rice wine or sherry wine
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 stalk green onions chopped
shredded Nori for garnish
Directions
In a bowl combine rice, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
Heat frying pan and pour in the vegetable oil.
Cook the beaten egg until halfway cooked.
Add the shrimps and cook until it turn pink.
Add the rice and the pickled mustard.
Add soy sauce, sake and sesame oil and mix thoroughly.
Lastly, add the green onions.
Serve while still warm topped with shredded Nori.
Itadakimasu!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment