Thursday, March 28, 2013

Gluten Free Avocado Basil Pesto



During Lent, Friday is always a meatless day in our household.  I grew up with this tradition and I am carrying it on.
Pesto has always been my favorite.  One day, while watching television, I saw this dish served in a restaurant in in New York ( I forgot to write down which).  As always, I have my handy dandy notebook (according to Steve in the cartoon Blue's Clues) and started writing down the ingredients.  As usual, they don't give you the measurements so I am just winging this one.  What got my attention with this version was the addition of another favorite ingredient of mine, the avocado.  Who would have thought that you can put avocado in pasta?  Also, it is gluten free so it made me very excited.
I always try to use ingredients with health benefits.  I was in a car accident a while back and I am constantly in pain.  It has prevented me to move much I have not have much physical activity.
As I mentioned earlier, Basil is a favorite of mine.  Basil protects the cell structure and chromosomes  from damage by radiation and oxygen.  It is anti-bacterial. It is very advisable to add basil in your salad dressing to kill the bacteria from fresh salad greens and it also enhances it's flavor. It is also anti- inflammatory, a good source of Vitamin A , magnesium, potassium, iron , calcium and Vitamin C.
Avocados on the other hand, is good for human weight control, high nutritional density, source of major antioxidants, stroke prevention, fruit protein source, fiber source; as baby food, and other dietary benefits
Hope you try this one.
Ingredients
1 bunch basil leaves
1/4 c chives
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c toasted pine nuts (or any nuts available, I have not tried it with peanuts though)
1/2 avocado
1/2 c Parmesan cheese
sea salt
Directions
Cook the vermicelli noodles according to the package instructions.
Put the rest of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until you get a "shake" like consistency.
Toss together with the hot noodles. Top with additional Parmesan cheese and toasted nuts.







* http://ezinearticles.com/?Health-Benefits-Of-Basil&id=175090;                                                                                                                      http://www.regenerativenutrition.com/content.asp?id=443

No comments:

Post a Comment