Friday, December 14, 2012

Baked Five Spice Chicken


I have always expressed my love for chicken and Five Spice powder.  If I can't think of anything to fix,  I just whip up something with either one of these two ingredients.
Chinese five-spice is made up of cloves, anise, star anise, cinnamon and ginger.  It can also be purchased in a small bottle from your Chinese store or in some groceries that have an Asian section.
Another thing I try to have in our meals are vegetables.  I need to have my fiber!!!!
Today I put together my two "go to" ingredients, chicken and five spice powder.  For a healthier version, instead of the traditional Chinese deep fry, I opted for the fat free baking method.  I put the chicken on top of a bed of stir fried broccoli rabe and sprinkled it with sliced almonds.
Ingredients
2 lbs. chicken breast, butterflied
1 tbsp Five Spice powder
3 large garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
sliced almonds (optional)
Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Rinse chicken breasts. Pat dry with paper towels.
Place chicken between two pieces plastic wrap. With a meat mallet, pound the breast until it is quarter of an inch thin.
In a shallow dish, combine the rest of the ingredients (except the sliced almonds). Dredge the chicken with the spices.
Transfer chicken to a parchment lined baking pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is done.
Sprinkle with sliced almonds (optional).
Serve with salad greens, brown rice, or stir fried vegetables.


No comments:

Post a Comment