Thursday, October 11, 2012

Citrus Chicken Teriyaki




Don't you have days when you wonder how much sugar you are taking? I am not really a big dessert eater and I don't use refined sugar on my oat bran every morning.  But my husband noticed that I have a thing for slightly sweet savory dishes. I must admit that I put a teaspoon or two of brown sugar on my spaghetti ( just because I don't want it too tart) and some other dishes.
A few months back my doctor told me that due to all the medicines I have been taking for the pain (from a car accident three years ago), it has affected my liver and my blood pressure and I am pre-diabetic.
Anyway, I try to regulate my sugar and that is why I make almost everything from scratch so I can monitor what ingredients I put in the food I eat.  Teriyaki is one of my favorites but it has way too much sugar.  I found a recipe that substitutes sugar with fresh orange juice.  The natural sweetness of the orange replaces the sugar called for in  this dish.
This is not like your regular teriyaki that is way too sweet.  This recipe just has a hint of sweetness but not too overpowering (that you think there's candy in you food).
Hope you enjoy this version.
Ingredients
1/4 c low sodium soy sauce (or gluten free Tamari)
2 tbsp orange juice
1/2 tsp. ginger, peeled & grated  (or 1/8 tsp ginger powder)
1 garlic clove, chopped
pinch cayenne
2 pounds chicken
salt and pepper
Directions
Get a gallon resealable bag.  Combine soy sauce, orange juice, ginger, garlic and cayenne.  Set aside.
Remove the skin from chicken.  Season with salt and pepper.  Place chicken slices in the gallon plastic bag.  Seal bag and turn to coat chicken with the marinade.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight (for best results).
Brush grill rack with oil (or with cooking spray).  Preheat grill to 300 degrees F or to medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade. Place chicken on grill and grill cover for 50 to 55 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chicken) or until no longer pink in the middle.
You can also fix this in the oven at the same temperature.
Serve with brown rice and a side of grilled vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment